Saturday, October 31, 2020

An efficient day by the team

 Hugh Elmore came out with me and the team. Unlike Thursday night when it was so windy that we really didn't have much of a chance against the scarce squirrels, today was perfect. Cisco was at about 900 gram body weight, no breeze to speak of, sunny, and cool. Hard to beat. I told Hugh there's not much room for excuses.

We released the hound (really a terrier mix), and Cisco took off. He flew a short ways, then returned to us. That was good because occasionally Cisco has been balky with visitors. Not today. Pretty soon I saw Cisco fly down. The impact sound was right, but I couldn't see much. Hugh yelled that Cisco had it and I ran in. I dispatched the squirrel, and tossed a chick. Cisco will release a squirrel the minute it's dead as he knows how difficult they are two break into. Like eating a football I tell people.

He ate a chick while I prepared the squirrel. I buried the tail and feet, and cut the head and one front leg off as a unit. Cisco came over and waited for me to finish (yes, he's a Red-tail that will do that). Arnold in the meantime found the buried tail and headed off. Cisco nailed him in the butt with the concomitant yelping, and Cisco retrieved HIS squirrel tail. He fooled with it until I called him to the fist and fastened him up while he munched on the squirrel chunk offered.

Pictures by Hugh Elmore 

  


Back at the park after

Arnold always hopeful

Cisco with his squirrel chunk

No comments:

Post a Comment